Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Six Courageous poems for People with Cancer at Christmas


Here's a Bonus Gift for you from an as yet unpublished book

8th December already and Christmas is on its way. But I am looking well ahead, to March 2011, when I'll be helping doctors and other health professionals find the words to use to help us, their patients - and how to use them.

For I've been invited to give 2 x 75 minute workshops at the '12th Annual International Summit on     Improving Patient Care in the Office Practice and the Community' for IHI (Institute for Healthcare Improvement).

That's in dear old Dallas, Texas. And I'm so looking forward to it.

In the meantime my heart goes out to those thousands of people coping with cancer at Christmas time, when everyone else is in joyous mode - and that can make it harder, by comparison. So I've dipped into the 5th book I wrote as I made my adventurous way beyond my initial cancer experience, to open up some of the mindset that keeps me optimistic. This is my Christmas gift to you. It's not  published yet, so read 'Cancer - a Journey' and 'After Cancer - the Journey Continues' [available through my website http://www.anotherlife.com.au]  to keep you going in the meantime -- and let me know if you simply can't wait to get your hands on the next three.

The title of this 5th book is :   Cancer - Survive or Endure             -----    and I am Surviving


IT’S JUST ANOTHER BUMP IN THE ROAD

We roll down life’s highways
byways
rivers
and streams

Slide on the ice
walk through the rain
surf across it all
for,
after cancer
you’ve learned to bounce
to fly
to step out while you can

travel the road you’re
      sentenced to take
learning your strength
      is better
      finer

Strong
more than before
smoothing the rocks and rolls
barrelling along

Seeing panoramas
slide toward you
recognising no barrier

experience
flattening the hills
as they come
calling them only
now

just another little bump in the road.
      © Beryl Shaw 29th  May 2008


AND NOW IT’S ALL OVER


If you’d asked me
seven years ago
could I endure –
possibly –
by any stretch of imagination –

all that time
all that ongoing wretchedness

Or that I would
never the less
come out the other side
praising God
whatever you believe this
            mother-of-the-womb
                        to be

And know that I would love not only life itself
but indeed
            my own very blessed
                        creative life

Would I
            Could I
                        have known
                                    imagined
that tonight
my life would be filled with stars
in a heavensent sky
            so bright
                        that it lifts me up
to stand tall
yet once again
            and still love ------


                        EPILOGUE            (to ‘And now it is all over')

                        For this is what I have done
                        in the face of everything that has happened
                        to me and those I love

Suddenly the clouds have shifted,
drifted away.

            © Beryl Shaw Friday 29th August 2008  10.23pm
           

DON’T BRING ME DOWN


They stand in their certainty

tell many – as if they knew
‘Without your health you have nothing’

Well – don’t tell me
I have no life to live
no mountains I can climb
no work or joy or love
to partake in

My experience
has not brought me to this
but is a template for others
when they choose
to hear my story
of reality
accomplishment
strength of will

A beacon for others – I am told
Incorrigible – they tell me
because I still make jokes
about cancer
and the fear that lurks around corners
            waiting for unwary souls

those who have not – yet
learned
to stretch themselves
beyond the stories others would tell

who have not – yet
learned
to hold up their accomplishments
their overcoming
of that fear
            and all those silly people
who say
because they know not
            ‘Without your health ------‘

Don’t tell me

This is the life I reside in
the light
where I shine
and trust that’s enough

to draw those to me
who live
through their pain
reach for the sky
have a life to live – and do

We have
We are
We know

the transcendence of love beyond limits
for though walking through darkness
we lift our eyes
look past the know-nothing pontificators
see our lives
our somethings
that leave the nay-sayers  behind

So – Don’t try to tell me!

                        © Beryl Shaw  8th March 2009


AND I LIVE AGAIN


How do you live after cancer?
You live like anyone else
one day at a time

or perhaps
one moment at a time

And  today I have once again learned this lesson
listening to a tape on how to be invited onto television
as I’ve been before
they told me an idea
that raised for me
my own

my own next poem
own next thought
own new thinking on what I’d written
before

People talk about our need to discipline ourselves
if we are to succeed
at our chosen ‘norm’
but for the creative spirit
discipline might mean allowing

allowing myself to start something new
when the urge strikes me
lest I lose that thought
that specific idea
this particular way with  words

might also mean finishing what I start
or allowing myself to not finish
but be a true creator
shifting from one job to another
as the thought strikes

my discipline may be
to not allow any original expression of me
to slip unaltered from my grasp

For me
this is life
the life  I choose
the life I cannot help but live

because I live
truly live
only through my loves

I am because I write
I am because family is all – well, nearly
I am because others live also
their best lives
chosen
so they tell me
for their own reasons

I would have it no other way

Use me not as your ‘seer’
I ask
question
sift
help where I may
retreat not from my own thoughts into yours
yet retreat not from loving that you think for yourself
and do not try to be a clone of me

This is living

                        © 8th March 2009


MORE THAN EIGHT YEARS ON

I look out at a beautiful blue sky
green tree 
breeze softly blowing
and I am glad to be alive

Today
I vacuumed my whole room
the one where
I spend so much time
now

and regardless of the poverty
            illness has wrought on my life
it is still a beautiful room
in a beautiful life
because I am alive to see it.

28th November 2009


THE GIFT

To have lived the life you have
well
to be able to look back
and say

I loved as much as I was able
looked on
sometimes
at the world speeding by
Threw myself into it
when I was at my best

Lifted the view of others
through my vision for a future
the way I stretched out my arms
to possibilities
hidden
for the moment
behind troubles too dense to see through

raised their hopes for me
by my decision to live
in each day I hold onto
as if it were my last

until it is

And I go forward
with a smile on my lips
having accomplished
a life
good enough
to leave as a talisman

That is a gift beyond price

And don't you forget it!

                        © Beryl Shaw 5th February 2010

I wish you a happy Christmas, Hanukkah, whatever you are celebrating. And here's my email address. berylshaw@netspace.net.au         Write to me.

Much love

Beryl




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Beryl,
    These poems are beautiful and very thought provoking at Christmas. Jennifer McCoy

    ReplyDelete